Friday, August 6, 2010

The Southern Utah Heritage Choir

When I first moved to St. George, a friend in Provo told me that I should check out the Southern Utah Heritage Choir. Stephen and I went to one of their Christmas rehearsals in the St. George Tabernacle, and we loved what we heard. We never did end up going to a concert - we kept missing them. I decided that after their summer break was over, I'd see if I could join.

Yesterday morning, I looked to see when they were starting rehearsals again, and what do you know, their first rehearsal was last night. I submitted my audition request, and got an email letting me know that someone was auditioning before rehearsal at 6pm, and I was welcome to come then. So I went, sang a hymn, read a tenor line, proved my range(which was better than I remember it...) and they sent me upstairs to rehearse with the choir! That is the way to audition, my friends. No waiting for an hour in a certain hallway that might make me nervous for the rest of my life, no waiting days praying to be on the callback list, no waiting and praying even harder to actually make the final cut. I just walk in, sing, the director says welcome to the choir, and I start rehearsing 15 minutes later. The BYU Choirs are probably in my top 3 of things in my life that are possible to miss, but the audition process is NOT.

The first piece we sang together last night was Mack Wilberg's Praise to the Lord. Most of us knew it well, and it was beautiful. It felt so good to sing in a big, beautiful choir again. And in the Tabernacle to boot! Such a treat. This new experience fills a hole in my life that I was trying hard to ignore. But there is no denying. I need choir!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hit Counter